KAPITI COMMUNITY FOODBANK INCORPORATED
Here you will find recipes that use foodstuffs you might find in a food parcel.
|Posted on March 22, 2018 at 5:55 PM|
Cook Time - 20mins Servings: 10
If you want to make a smaller portion then you can use 2 cups of rice and around 5-6 cups of stock to make 4 servings.
1kg short grain rice
1 large onion - finely diced
1 cup grated cheese
Garlic - diced finely
Salt and pepper
Your choice of vegetables
1. In a pan on a medium heat put some oil and a knob of butter.
2. Add diced onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until onion is transparent.
3. Add just a small amount of garlic after the onion has begun to cook.
4. Add the rice to the pan.
5. Stir and coat the rice in the oil butter onion mixture. This takes around 1-2 minutes.
6. Add the hot stock a little at a time while stirring the rice.
7. Once the rice has absorbed the stock you can add a little more to make it creamy.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
9. At this point you can add your choice of vegetables.
10. Continue to stir.
11. Put a lid on the pan, turn of the heat and leave for a minute or two.
12. Stir and add a knob of butter and add the cheese.
13. If the risotto seems too firm you can add some more stock - but just a little at a time.
|Posted on March 13, 2018 at 3:35 PM|
Preperation Time - 20 mins Cook Time - 15 mins
450g tin smoked fish
4 Large potatoes - boiled and mashed with a little milk
2 TBSP flour
2 TSP mustard powder
Salt and pepper
- Boil eggs in water for 6-7mins until hard boiled. Cool under cold running water then shell and slice.
- Place eggs and smoked fish in a shallow casserole dish.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, add flour and stir over heat for 1 min. Remove from heat
- Mix in the mustard and add the milk slowly. Season with salt and pepper, mix in the parsely now if using.
- Pour over the fish and eggs.
- Top with mashed potato.
- Bake for 15 mins at 200C until golden and bubbling.
|Posted on March 12, 2018 at 4:30 PM|
- Combine all items.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into a well greased dish.
- Bake at 180C for 35-40 mins
|Posted on March 12, 2018 at 4:25 PM|
- Fry onion and celery in butter until transparent.
- Add tuna and rice.
- Heat through.
- Add parsely before serving.
|Posted on March 12, 2018 at 4:20 PM|
- Simmer sausages in water for 10 mins.
- Take out and put in an ovenproof dish.
- layer sliced apples over the sausage.
- Sprinkle over brown sugar.
- Fry onions in oil.
- Add flour and mustard and cook for 1 min.
- Stir in the rest and bring to the boil.
- Pour over the sausages.
- Cook in the oven at 180C for 30-40 minutes
|Posted on March 12, 2018 at 4:10 PM|
- Saute chopped bacon and onion in margarine/butter.
- Add flour.
- Remove from heat ans add a little milk, mixing it in.
- Add the rest of the milk.
- Return to heat and stir until thick.
- Add grated cheese and stir.
- Add macaroni to the sauce.
- Put in a caserole dish and top with bread and sprinkle grated cheese.
- Bake in a oven until golden brown on top.
|Posted on March 12, 2018 at 4:00 PM|
- Boil butter, sugar and honey for 4 minutes.
- Add rice bubbles. Mix well.
- Press into a lined flat tray.
- Leave to set. Cut into squares.
|Posted on March 12, 2018 at 3:50 PM|
- In a saucepan cover potatoes and pumpkin with water.
- Add stock cubes and onion.
- Bring to the boil and simmer until tender.
- Drain off 1/2 the water.
- Mash or puree until smooth.
- Add grated cheese while hot.
- Thin to desired consistency with milk or cream before serving.
|Posted on March 12, 2018 at 3:45 PM|
- Fry mince and onions in a pan until mince is no longer pink.
- Mix stock cube with hot water and add to mince.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins.
- Add cornflour paste and stir until thickened.
- You can add 1 cup of frozen peas now if you have them.
- Put mixture in an ovenproof dish and put potato on top.
- Rough the top up with a fork and put under the grill to brown the potato.